So my sister asked if I could make her a grocery bag holder (of course I said yes!)
Time for my second tutorial!
Please leave me a comment if you try it out!
It will make me feel good that someone used it :)
1 piece of fabric cut to 14" x 22"
2 pieces of 1/4" elastic - 10" long
1 piece of double fold bias tape or ribbon cut to 34" long
1. Start with the shorter sides of the fabric. Fold over the edge 1/4" and iron. Fold over another 3/4", iron and sew in place close to the edge to make a casing. Repeat on the other short side.
2. Put a safety pin on one side of the elastic and feed through the casing you just made. When you get it to the point that the non-safefy pin end reaches the fabric, sew it in place a 1/4" from the end.
3. Pull the elastic threw and sew in place at the other end but leave the safety pin in until you sew it in place. Repeat on the other end.
Hmmm, not a great picture...
Elastic all sewn in.
4. If you're using bias tape, this is where I sewed the edges closed using contrasting thread for a little interest.
5. Fold the bias tape or ribbon in half and pin it 1" down from the top edge. Make sure the folded edge lines up with the unfinished long edge so your tie will end up on the outside. Sew in place close to the edge.
6. Fold the whole thing in half with long edges together, right sides facing.
7. Sew all the way down with a 1/2" seam.
* Cut the edge with pinking shears (or serge or zigzag). This probably isn't necessary but I figured since it is for someone else I want it to be finished.
8. Turn right side out. Stuff with grocery bags.
9. Hang it up some place and admire your handiwork!