Sunday, June 26, 2011

My Garden

I LOVE having a garden.  It's one of those things that I didn't really love until I had a house and a place to grow things.  I think it's amazing to go outside and "pick a salad" for dinner!  AND I love seeing other people's gardens and what they're growing.  So I thought I'd give a little tour of our back yard garden.

Last year for my first mother's day, hubby made me a raised bed for veggies and herbs.
We quickly realized one bed was not enough!  So we added the back one this year. 


Doesn't look like much, but we've already had quite a few salads from our little gardens.


 Sugar Snap Peas - soooo yummy and SOOOOO TALL!!!  All from seeds!
We pick hand-fulls every day!


Chives - I've had this plant for probably 5 years in various pots.  Thought it died a few times but it kept coming back!  Finally got it in the ground last year and this year it flowered for the first time!!


They are hard to see but those weird stalks are green onions.  Did you know you can take green onions from the store, keep the bottom bulb part with the roots and grow them in the garden??  I kept these each in a little jar of water in the kitchen to get the roots going then stuck them in the ground.  Not only did they survive the winter (and we had a bad winter!!) but they grew to be ENORMOUS and flowered.


And some of them look like something out of a Dr. Suess book. 


We also have several Cubano pepper plants.


Are they ready to be picked?? I have no idea what to do with them but I thought it would be fun to grow peppers.  Maybe lots of salsa is in our future.


Parsley of course.


Basil, basil basil!! I LOVE basil!

Don't forget to pick off those flower stalks every day!


Green leaf lettuce. Endless salads!  We had spinach too but that's already gone by.


Lots of carrots.   There are regular orange carrots and a kaleidoscope mix.  Can't wait to pick them!!


Broccoli!!  No sign of broccoli bunches yet but the stalks are getting thick!


More basil next to the tomatoes.


That was a nice cilantro plant but it always seems to go to seed really fast and I can't stop it.  Can't figure it out.  Oh, and a volunteer tomato plant that came up through our compost.


TOMATOES!!!  I think we have 5 or 6 different kinds this year.


I'm most excited for the Lemon Boys!!


A new bed at the top of our driveway full of wild flowers.  
I love having flowers right outside my door to pick!


 



Baby loves to pick flowers too.



More basil!  Cinnamon basil and purple basil!!


A few strawberries which I just learned won't give us much until next year.  Oh well...  There is one little berry there on the bottom that a little critter helped themselves to.


Nasturtiums.  So pretty and edible!


Herb garden - lemon thyme, purple sage, rosemary, lavender, oregano.


And a mandevilla that just won't climb.  I tried to help it out by tying it to the trellis.  Hmmm....


Happy Gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...