Sunday, April 15, 2012

Fried Rice

I love fried rice! Once I figured out how easy it was to make, it became part of our regular rotation of dinners.  It's a great way to use up leftovers too.  The veggies and meat vary depending on what's in the fridge.

Here's all the ingredients I use:
Eggs
Frozen Pees
Leftover sausage and pork pieces
Leftover chopped celery
Carrot
Half used onion
Rice (could be leftover too)
Sesame Oil
Soy Sauce 
Oyster Sauce


Sometimes I used Hoisin Sauce too.

Ok, here we go:
1.  Start the rice.  It will be done just in time to add to your other pan of veggies and meat. If you have leftover rice on hand, this is really a one-pot meal! Note: I do not add any salt to the water because I'm adding soy sauce later and don't want it to be too salty.

2. Heat sesame oil in your skillet over medium heat. (You can also use canola oil.)

3. Scramble eggs (I used 2 here) and cook in the oil.

4. Remove the eggs from the pan and set aside.

5.  Add more oil if needed and start adding veggies.  Cook the onion in the oil first.

6.  Add more veggies (celery here)

7.  Add carrots, keep cooking...

8. Add frozen peas, keep cooking...

9. Add oyster sauce (or hoisin or both)

10.  Stir and cook till veggies are all tender. (Just turn your head sideways to see this picture the correct way.)

11. Add in any meat, here is my left over sausage and pork.  All my meat was already cooked because it was left over. If your meat is not cooked, you might want to do that before you cook the veggies, then just set aside and add back in here.


12.  Your rice should be just about done by now.

Add it to the pan with the veggies.

13. Add in soy sauce and more oyster or hoisin sauce to your liking.

14.  Chop up the eggs (spatula works just fine).

And add them into the rice.

Mmmm, dinner is ready!

My little girl loves this dinner! 

Of course, she eats all of the peas out of it first.


This dinner usually requires some post dinner rice pick-up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...